With the changing of the seasons…comes apples. Apples come in all colors and multiple levels of tartness and sweetness.
I love canning apples…I love apple pies. Actually, I love many things made with apples.
We’ve been making these apple flautas as long as I can remember. I remember eating them from somewhere when I was a child…but I don’t recall from where. As I became an adult, I experimented until I got them how I like them.
This is another one of those recipes that isn’t set in stone, you have to play with the spices. I like the cinnamon approximately twice as much as the others.
I don’t measure the spices…I just sprinkle them. Just a nice dusting of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg is enough to give these flautas the perfect touch.
- Apples, any type will work…I like pink ladies.
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Lay tortillas out on a baking sheet…I line the baking sheet with tin foil. If you leave your flautas a little too long, they will carmelize and you’ll really wish it was lined.
- Slice apples approximately 1/8″ thick. I used about 1 1/2 apples for two tortillas. Place them around your tortillas. I do mine in a circular pattern.
- Dust apples with your cinnamon…and use about half as much of the cloves and nutmeg.
- Dab butter all around. Be generous…this will keep the apples from drying out during baking.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of sugar. I used approximately 1/4- 1/2 cup for each flauta. This depends on the size of the tortillas…but you want them plenty sweet….after all, this is a desert. I never said it wasn’t fattening! lol
- Place you baking sheet in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes…just keep an eye on them. You want them to bubble, but not for a really long time. If you let them cook too long, they will carmelize and become tough and chewy.
When you finish sprinkling your spices…your apples should look similar to these.
Here I’m not quite finished placing my butter. You can also top with a little cheese if you like. We have them that way also! YUMMO!
I hope you enjoy these wonderfully crisp deserts. Just a little different type desert, to make use of all those fabulous apples!
Before I forget…I’m joining a give away over at Deja Vue Deisgns…a gift card. Head on over and sign up to win…Just click on the leaves below!
Also on Deja Vue Designs this week…I’m joining a bunch of other blogs…featuring thrift store projects to benefit pet shelters. Come check out the cool pet projects that we have lined up all week long! Follow the leaves! 😀
For more ideas like these you can head on over to:
Or, you can follow in these other ways: