|Before: OMG. Unedited photo and clearly uncropped. It’s like leaving the lady’s room with my dress tucked into my tights. But there you go.|
|After: Unedited but not nearly so embarrassing. OK, the clock leaning against the fireplace is a bit embarrassing but I really don’t know where to hang the darn thing. Oh and you want to see more of my September mantel? Well, I just happen to have a link around here somewhere. Hmm, let me, oh yes…HERE.|
The process was so easy that I fear this won’t be much of a tutorial. It’s more like a conversation we could have waiting at the bus stop or running into each other at Starbucks. “Oh so let me tell you about what I did this week! I had this white paint, see….”
- Paint used was a flat white Rustoleum.
- I used 2 parts paint to 5 parts water. Why the weird ratio? Because 1 to 5 was too little paint.
- I taped around the trim of the fireplace and taped brown paper to the floor to prevent splatters.
- I started at the bottom and worked my way up.
- As always when I’m painting, I kept a full container of baby wipes nearby to clean up any drops right away.
- Brushes: large foam craft brush for the deep parts and a chip brush for most of it.
- I applied two layers in some areas to vary the coloration.
- I used baby wipes to wipe off individual bricks for the same reason.
- It took me 2 hours.
- I used much less of the water/paint mixture than I anticipated and ended up with more than half left. I tried to convince Jim to let me do the brick in the front of my house but he started hyperventilating while shouting, “No! No! No! No!” HA HA HA!