Hi, I’m Megan from Chaos Served Daily, and these cupcakes are beyond delicious, I tell you! Our family is following along on a Halloween countdown calendar, and one of our activities was to make and decorate cupcakes for our neighbors. Of course, we made a few for ourselves as well.
I wasn’t in the mood to make from-scratch cupcakes on this particular day, so I (happily) had a Krusteaz Gingerbread mix in the pantry. I really like that their mixes don’t have “bad” ingredients, and all of the ones we’ve tried have been quite tasty. If you’d like to make them from scratch, try this recipe from King Arthur Flour.
For the frosting (and, really, isn’t that why we even eat cupcakes?), I got a little creative with what I had in the refrigerator. I knew I wanted a cream cheese frosting and thought the pumpkin cream cheese I’d just bought would be yummy in the frosting. And it was.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz pumpkin cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Blend together cream cheese and butter, then stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Start with two cups powdered sugar, then add more bit by bit until it’s the right consistency.
2. Spread generously on cupcakes, then sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.
This is enough frosting for 24 cupcakes. Or 12 cupcakes and as many graham crackers as you can eat while your kids are outside raking leaves. Or so I’ve heard.